- Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza
Gianpaolo Scalia Tomba, born in Stockholm (Sweden), in 1955. Degree in Mathematics and PhD in Mathematical Statistics at the University of Stockholm (Sweden). Active in applied and theoretical research and teaching of mathematics, probability theory, mathematical and medical statistics since 1976. Since 1992, associate professor in probability theory and mathematical statistics (MAT/06) in Italy. Since 2001, active in the Faculty of Natural Sciences at the University of Rome Tor Vergata.
Main research interests include mathematical and probabilistic modelling of infectious diseases in human populations and statistical analysis of infectious disease data. Several collaborations with researchers in medicine, biology and drug use research.
Participation in several EU funded research projects on epidemic and pandemic modelling and planning, expert consultant to the EU institutes EMCDDA (drug research) and ECDC (infectious diseases) and various collaborations with Italian scientific partners. Author or coauthor of more than 70 publications, referee for several international journals.
Pubblicazioni principali (ultimi 10anni)
- Mossong J, Jit M, Hens N, Beutels P, Auranen K, Mikolajczyk R, Massari M, Scalia-Tomba G, Wallinga J, Sadkowska-Todys M, Edmunds
J(2008) Social contacts and mixing patterns relevant to the spread of infectious diseases: a multi-country population-based survey, PLoS Med 5(3) e74. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0050074
- Ciofi degli Atti ML, Merler S, Rizzo C, Ajelli M, Massari M, Manfredi P, Furlanello C, Scalia Tomba G, Iannelli M(2008) Mitigation measures for pandemic influenza in Italy: an individual based model considering different scenarios, PLoS One 3(3): e1790. doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0001790
- Scalia Tomba G, Wallinga J (2008) A simple explanation for the low impact of border control as a countermeasure to the spread of an infectious disease. Math Biosci 214, 70-72 doi:10.1016/j.mbs.2008.02.009
- Scalia Tomba G (2008) Network, umani e pandemie. SIS-Magazine, 7/6/08.
- Scalia Tomba GP, Rossi C, Taylor C, Klempova D, Wiessing L. (2008) Guidelines for Estimating the Incidence of Problem Drug Use. EMCDDA, Lisbon.
- Rizzo C, Lunelli A, Pugliese A, Bella A, Manfredi P, Scalia Tomba G, Iannelli M, Ciofi degli Atti ML, on behalf of the EPICO working group
(2008) Scenarios of diffusion and control of an influenza pandemic in Italy. Epidemiol. Infect, 136,1650-1657, doi:10.1017/S095026880800037X
- Mariano A, Scalia Tomba G, Tosti ME, Spada E, Mele A (2009) Estimating the incidence, prevalence and clinical burden of hepatitis C over time in Italy. Scand J Inf Dis, 41, 689 – 699.
- Scalia Tomba G, Svensson Å, Asikainen T, Giesecke J (2010) Some model based considerations on observing generation times for comunicable diseases. Math Biosci 223, 24-31, doi:10.1016/j.mbs.